Welcome to BLOG Zentangle. To learn about Zentangle, visit our website, read our free newsletters, take a class with a local Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT), and best of all . . . create your own!


Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Doing the Dishes ... Again.

Rick writes:
In 2007, we started BLOG Zentangle and began our enjoyable series of conversations within our Zentangle community.

In reading through these blog posts with their insightful comments, we decided to bring a few of them to your attention from time to time. It is easy, for me anyway, to sometimes think of old information as stale information. But these insights and conversations are anything BUT stale!

We invite you to enjoy this blog post that we dished out in 2015...

                     Begin previous post . . .                  


It is always fun (for me, anyway) to find new homes for my Zentangle tiles. I like them gathered around us in and about the house, not safely tucked away in a book or drawer. They seem to take on a function, a reminder of all good things. I like to just stick them on the walls with architectural putty (also called blue tack or white tack). I use this silly putty-esque feeling semi-sticky mounting stuff all the time, to keep dishes from sliding, to keep pictures hanging straight. I also use it to stick tiles right on the wall, be it plaster, wood or wallpaper. Some days I stick tiles to the corners of framed art or mirrors or wedge them between mandolin strings, the tines of an especially exotic fork. With  Zendala tiles, I love to use the putty to stick them to . . .


. . . dishes!

What a fun way to spend a quiet Saturday afternoon, wandering the aisles of no-name antique shops, second-hand bazaars and the like.



I even like to buy ones that have nicks and chips, because I know how they can be rescued by the mighty pen, wielded in Zentangle fashion, adorning it with tangles and . . . zen.


And, whilst you are out and about in these shops, you can also look for the tiny and wonderful miniature easels, to "pedestal" your new found work of art in a more regal fashion. If the plate is of the plain variety, old and yellowing or crackled ever so, you might add a border tangle around where the plate dips into the center.


A pre-strung plate! Use a Sakura® IDentiPen™ or even better, Sakura Microperm™. You can add perfs all around, then maybe an aura around them. This creates a classic border the likes of which you normally see on the edge of a gilt frame. The easels, you can also find online. (They are not as easily found as orphaned china.)


And, I was able to give one of the tiles a "hand." All us old artists, were certain to have been given these wooden "structures" to practice drawing (wooden?) hands.


You may have some great ideas of your own for presenting your tiles about your house. Tell us about them in your comments.


-----+-----

R&M

4 comments:

Terri Y CZT16 said...

I have a curtain rod hung just below the overhang on our fireplace mantle hang Christmas stockings but the rest of the year it is used to hang a few tiles (about 10 tiles actually) and display my artwork. I can rotate them from the basket full of tiles I keep on the end table or as I finish a new tile.

Anonymous said...

Great reminder!
I have kept all your older posts, including this one, on file for future reference, and would love to be able to come take the CZT training, especially now that I'm not tied by decades of solo eldercare.
Even as a weaver, I do off-loom ring tapestries between or layered over my loom-woven pieces.
We can get so boxed in by our lives, labels, architecture, furnishings, and even our art that circular pieces seem to attract most people whether or not they realize why.

Deedee said...

Great ideas. I can't wait to start decorating my orphan plates. 😉 I find a wonderful way of displaying my tiles is to place them inside a square clear glass vase, then I add colored glass marbles and my fake succulents and it adds a dimension of interest that causes people to pause & look closer. I change them out periodically as I feel the urge.

CZT Aishwarya Darbha said...

Wow, I am loving your idea, and I am so gonna try and place it in my home. I have a glass jar, and I have filled it with collections of colourful designed erasers, and I shall now try to sneak my card stock into it and place it for decorations.