Welcome to BLOG Zentangle. To learn about Zentangle, visit our website, read our free newsletters, take a class with a local Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT), and best of all . . . create your own!


Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bees, Neighbors, Zentangle and Martha Stewart

On her way to work, our next door neighbor, Judi B., called Martha Stewart's radio show. Martha keeps bees and they were talking about protecting beehives in hurricanes. Our neighbor told Martha about how we had tied down our hives before Hurricane Irene.

 
That segued into a description of our honey with its label of Zentangle tangles around a bee that Maria painted and her lettering of "Honey from Ricky's Girls."


While they chatted on air, Martha went to zentangle.com, poked around and had some nice comments. 

If you are just joining us, you may not know the inspiration that the bees contribute to Zentangle.

Our beeline tangle is based on the pattern you see when looking through a honeycomb.



Instructions for beeline are in this newsletter.

Bees regularly swarm. Beekeepers like to catch swarms and start a new hive. Here's a picture of Nick (Molly's husband) when he and I were fortunate to capture one. We brushed it from a tree into a picnic cooler and here you see them flowing into their new home. There were probably 30,000 to 40,000 bees in this swarm.


Around that time we came up with a new tangle and we named it swarm as it often creates a hexagonal form. You can learn that tangle in this newsletter.


Bees, neighbors and Zentangle . . . Sweet!


Click images for larger views.

14 comments:

Margaret Bremner, Artist said...

A honey of a story, and two sweet tangles. 'S'warm thoughts I'm sending you all!
--Margaret

Carole Ohl said...

I'm a packaging freak, and I LOVE your honey label and its container. Very R & M!! (and also, very 'martha', as we say) How cool to have honey from your own bees!

Sue Clark said...

Yum! Honey from your own bees, doesn't get much better than that! I love the glass jars and label too.

Lois Heinani Stokes said...

Awesome ~ What a buzz you create

Karen Woodbine said...

Bee-lightful story...sorry, couldn't help myself:)

jan boyd said...

I'm thinking that Martha Stewart loves new and intruiguing ideas -- I'm guessing that Zentangle will catch her fancy and you'll have some follow up -- an article in her magazine? An appearance on her TV show (does she still have one?). You'll be even more famous than you are now!!

Zentangle said...

Oh no, I'll have to lose a few pounds.......... ; ) m

janee said...

I love the story, love the packaging and would love a bottle of that yummy looking honey! Are you selling it?

Jane Monk said...

Thanks for the story ... and the recalling the beginning of those patterns ... it's nice honey too!

Bette Abdu said...

Always interesting to learn more about the origins of tangles. Love the honey label!

Shelly Beauch said...

Delicious!

Carole Ohl said...

I'm with Janee.. having a bottle of that yummy honey would be a treat. Think about all those czts coming to Providence....:) Let's see, I'll take a pack of Zentangle tiles, some Sakura pens, a couple kits, and a jar of Rick's honey.

LellyBilly said...

You just went up to a swarm of bees... and put them in a cooler?? That blows my mind! If I ever saw a swarm of bees it'd be all I could do not to run away! Anyway, fun story! I love the packaging too.

crotnem said...

I was just thinking how to make a honeycomb tangle! You must have read
my mind, LOL
Thanks for all you do and have done as far as Zentangle is concerned!!!
Cheryl