Welcome to BLOG Zentangle. To learn about Zentangle, visit our website, read our free newsletters, take a class with a local Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT), and best of all . . . create your own!


Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Knock on wood

Wood is another great surface to tangle on. Here is a lid to a glass jar and a tongue depressor.

[Click any image for larger view]


Recently, Maria saw a tongue depressor, "Ooh, a blank surface!" Here's a closer look with Zentangles, front and back:




Tongue depressors (and popsicle sticks) are usually made from birch wood. Birch is great because with its nice tight grain, your ink doesn't bleed and feather out even on unfinished wood.

(Trivia: Did you know -- one reason birch is used for tongue depressors and popsicle sticks is that it has no taste to it.)

3 comments:

Zentangle said...

I just want to add my 2 cents....I was at the pediatrician's office with my daughter and granddaughter and while waiting for the doctor....I spotted a "few" perfectly blank bookmarks just screaming to be tangled.....what's a mother to do? I couldn't look away....someone had to save these naked sticks .....do the right thing. That would be ...me. maria

Sandra Strait said...

Love the zentangles and the trivia!

revbyrd said...

What a delight! Thanks.