Welcome to BLOG Zentangle. To learn about Zentangle, visit our website, read our free newsletters, take a class with a local Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT), and best of all . . . create your own!


Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pointed Pen

Here's an example of using Zentangle's approach with an oblique pen with white ink on black paper.



These samples are from a class we taught at a calligraphy conference last year in Nashville. Since you can dramatically weight the stroke, you can play in new ways with different tangles . . . for instance, swarm.



Look closely at Maria's Zentangle on the right (below), you'll notice that she also used a regular Pigma Micron to add a counter melody to that tangle. Rick's cadent on the left shows that even a novice can enjoy the dynamics of this pen.




This is a great segue to letting you know that we will be presenting two classes at Odyssey2010, July 27, 2010 - an afternoon class from 2 to 4 and an evening class from 7 - 9 at Stonehill College, just south of Boston, Massachusetts. These classes will be mostly with our regular pens and paper and will be open to the public. Pre-register at info@2010calligraphyconference.com or call them directly at 617-836-6565. $30.




Zentangle is a wonderful tool for warm-up, inspiration and embellishment for seasoned lettering artists. It's also (as we know!) great fun for anyone. That's why these two classes are open public events.

Materials used above:
Click images for larger view

6 comments:

Carole Ohl said...

Wow, nice. I guess I need to head back to the art store now. I love how delicate and strong they are all at once.

Heather Victoria Held said...

Can't wait to take the Zentangle class at Odyssey. I was in your first class at the Iampeth at Rhode Island! I am so looking forward to seeing you again.

revbyrd said...

Ah. I wish I could join you. Happy class to all of you. And the White on Black is really really nice!

Lois Heinani Stokes said...

There are no limits to what you can do. Beautiful! LOL In the present moment I must start at the beginning... tile, 4dots, string and tangle.

Zentangle said...

I, too, go back to the dots...string and tangle.......there is beauty and comfort in the simplicity of a good old Zentangle..... maria

Shelly Beauch said...

Amazing how things happen at the right time, my daughter gave me some calligraphy pens for Mother's Day. The whole family created zentangles especially for me, they are so beautiful (my family and their zentangles).